View Single Post
Old 21 April 2021, 17:16   #1
Sim085

Amiga A590 hard disk spins but does not boot

Hello, just received an A590. It came with an XT drive and what I believe is a dying power supply. When I turned it on the red light came on but nothing else happened. No sound from either the HDD or the fan. I changed the drive to a SCSI one (which I know works) and swapped the jumper, turned on, nothing happened either. I therefore applied the hack so that the A590 would suck power from the A500, turned it on. The HDD started to run and the fan started to run. So I moved the Power Supply aside.

That said the thing does not boot. The SCSI HD is 200MB in size and has Workbench 3.1 installed on it (the A500 has Kickstart 3.1). So I booted in Workbench 3.1 from floppy disks and then loaded SYSINFO. I can see the card is being listed under Boards;

Code:
$00E90000 64K ZORRO II A590 SCSI/XT COMMODORE 0
If I restart the A500 and hold the two mouse buttons and go under Expansion Boards once again I have the one board listed (manufecturer 512) with status Working. However under Boot options I only have 'DF0' listed.

I can confirm auto-boot switch is turned ON from the back and the delay switch (3rd) I have tried it with it both ON and OFF, just in case the drive was considered to be slow. I have also tried to boot from a CF card (also workbench 3.1) using a SCSI to CF adapter. But same behavior.

The A590 came with V4.6 ROMs. Now I read there are 7.0 ROMs; however, aren't the ROM there only for AUTOBOOT option? Even if the ROMs are old, shouldn't I have seen the HDD when I booted to Workbench using Floppy Disk? Or that is not the way it works?

Unfortunatly the A590 did not come with any FastRAM so I have to order some chips before I can test that.

In summary it is running, the HDD is spinning, the card is seen, but I cannot boot or see the hard disk.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by Sim085; 21 April 2021 at 17:42.

Page generated in 0.12900 seconds with 11 queries