Thread: Amiga Explorer
View Single Post
Old 19 June 2009, 02:05   #5
simono71

I have an amiga 1000 and amiga 500, so no hard drive. The amiga 1000 has a female serial port so I can't try that machine till I get a gender changer.

The CLI work is what is necessary to 'boot' the system -> you can't load a PC disk under WB1.2 so you have no way of transferring the files to the Amiga (You can use cross doss, but unless you have that already in an Amiga format you are stuck). Hence the Amiga Explorer for older machines tries to bootstrap itself by first copying down a small setup program to the RAM disk, and then using that to transfer the whole Amiga Explorer program down.

According to the instructions the setup program should copy itself into the RAM disk, and then you Ctrl-C the CLI shell launch it manually from there. For me the setup program seems to be running itself at the end of the transfer and then complaining about the serial port. My guess is that the port is still in use from the SER: to RAM:Setup command you launch to get the setup program down in the first place.

I can't think why it would complain 'Serial connection cannot be opened' as the Terminal program from the Basic Extras disk works fine and opens the serial port, along with the CLI SER: command in the first place unless the port is already opened.

Page generated in 0.06506 seconds with 11 queries