View Single Post
Old 03 November 2014, 16:07   #5
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
No problem to change any polarized capacitor with non-polarized (ceramic)?
It has testing for long time ? just asking..
Ceramic capacitors use ceramic material sandwiched between metal plates for capacitance and are polarity neutral. Electrolyitic capacitors use chemicals that depend on having the right voltage polarity applied to work. There is a thread on EAB dealing with capacitors:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74671

There are some potential issues in replacing the A4000 electrolytics with ceramics. There are actually lower capacitance ceramic capacitors in parallel with the electrolytics across the power bus on many locations on the A4000 MB. I don't know the exact reason for this but my guess would be to surpress fast transient voltage spikes while the bigger electrolytics keep the voltage stable.

I choose to replace the electrolytic capacitors on my A4000 with the same ones. I made sure I got high quality Japanese capacitors and not the cheaper ones from China. Commodore got some really bad quality ones when they made the A4000 and those are the ones that leak badly after 20 years. On my latest A4000, it was only the 22uf capacitors. the 47uf and 4.7uf capacitors were all fine. I replaced them anyway just because they were so old.

Page generated in 0.04297 seconds with 11 queries