View Single Post
Old 17 March 2021, 01:00   #28
Daedalus

Fashion is a part of it, but you can't really dismiss the importance of the depth or weight of them so easily. It's easy to fit a couple of 27" monitors on any desk, but a 21" Trinitron needs a *big* desk, and a strong one too. I loved my 21" Trinitron, and the Amiga looked great on it whether it was a native screenmode (via a scandoubler) or a 1600x1200 75Hz Workbench screen from my Voodoo3, but the tradeoff in space and lack of portability mean it's simply not worth it compared to my current setup with far higher screen real-estate both in pixel terms and in absolute area, and the extra space on my desk (my entire soldering and rework setup fits the same space that monitor took up).

It's all about the compromise, and everyone's point where one option simply isn't worthwhile any more is always going to be different. For my main TV, I very nearly bought a Full HD CRT when they were available, but the few models available just didn't suit. In the end I switched to a decent plasma, which is still going strong and still great for Amigas and other retro systems.

Page generated in 0.05389 seconds with 11 queries