View Single Post
Old 17 March 2021, 22:10   #4
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I have my program in a While loop waiting for mouse button input. So as soon as I press the button, that loop exits and goes straight to End, there's nothing else. So yeah I believe it does it on crash. And it wasn't doing it until I started to use the Bank mechanism. But it could be something else. At this point, who knows? I cannot even debug it, because it crashes blitz if I run this from SuperTED
So the debugger doesn't catch anything? Hmmm, that makes things tricky alright. Does it crash Blitz at the same point, or before?

Quote:
How do I even know what libraries I do have? This is really a mess. Do I have to include anything, like I had to do the bb2 objects RES file?
I have that UBB2.1 Plus pack from http://ubb.plus , if that helps
Yeah, you most likely do have those libraries - they were on the extras disk of the floppy version, and are included with pretty much every version that isn't the bare Kickstart 1.3 floppy-based version. But the easy way to tell is to type in the command and see if it gets highlighted by SuperTED.

Quote:
That's a good workaround for the time being, but I'm actually trying to determine if I have enough RAM to load it in before it gets loaded, future proofing.
Fair enough - it's harmless to try and allocate more RAM than is available, so long as you check to make sure it was successful. Outside Blitz, RAM allocation is done this way too - try and allocate and check the returned address to see if it was successful. But checking first makes sense too.

Quote:
But I am using "LoadBank" to load the file... should I be using something else?
That's no problem - you can open the file using ReadFile, check the length of it, close it, and then use LoadBank to load it in. Opening it in itself doesn't take up much RAM because you're not actually loading anything but the file header, and closing it again frees that up.

Quote:
I expect to eventually need to add directory browsing and file loading from there, so I'd need to look into t his. But refer to point above: I have no fucking idea how to know what libraries I already have, or where to get more even.
Yeah, it's a little easier in AmiBlitz, but the simplest way in Blitz2 is to type in a command and see if it's recognised. To look through what's available in the 3rd party libraries, the documentation isn't included in the main manual so you have to hunt for it. But I would strongly recommend downloading the guides from the AmiBlitz Docs directory - most of the libraries are taken directly from the Ultimate Blitz CD, and while some of the files aren't relevant to Blitz 2.1, if you start with the BlitzLibs.guide file, that will link to both the standard and the 3rd party libs from a convenient location so you can browse them relatively easily. Some of the libraries will have been updated, but the functionality will be the same in 99.9% of cases so the documentation will work well for you (the Null() function is the only one that's significantly changed that I can think of).

You probably don't really need to worry about adding libraries - the Ultimate Blitz setup should already include all the standard ones. Adding custom libraries is fiddly and can result in your source being unreadable by another installation of Blitz so it's best not to do that unless you need to. It was different back in the day when you started off with the core libs and added as new ones were released...

Page generated in 0.07708 seconds with 11 queries