Thread: Amix in WinUAE
View Single Post
Old 20 June 2013, 21:14   #64
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I don't see any BOM-bits in sense data, only end of media (EOM) bit.
What if you set the EOM bit when a REWIND is attempted and the tape is already positioned at the start? The SCSI (1) standard doesn't say whether that should definitely happen or not though:
Code:
  The end-of-medium (EOM) bit indicates that an end-of-medium condition (end-
of-tape, beginning-of-tape, out-of-paper, etc) exists on a sequential access 
device or printer device.  For sequential-access devices, this bit indicates 
that the unit is at or past the early-warning end-of-tape if the direction was 
forward or that the command could not be completed because beginning-of-tape 
was encountered if the direction was reverse.
There are a couple of tape drive manuals which might be of use:
Wangtek 5525ES (I think the earlier 5150ES might have worked with Amix, maybe that drive is backward-compatible?)
Archive Viper 2060S/2150S

I remember reading of a patch to Amix to get it to work with the Viper drive. So you probably couldn't use a Viper to install Amix using unmodified boot disks.

It seems the QIC-150 format only specifies 512-byte blocks. Nothing else is allowed.

In the Wangtek 5525ES PDF, see the REQUEST SENSE details starting at page 82. That mentions a BOM bit (byte 9 bit 3 in the request sense data), and also ASC/ASCQ of 00/04 meaning "Beginning of Medium or beginning of partition detected". The drive can also return SCSI-2 extended sense data, where BOM is byte 19 bit 3. Whether the drive is in SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 mode is determined by a jumper on the PCB.

Also note the amigasrc and pubsrc archives should be compressed with the UNIX compress command (as they are on the original tape). So amigasrc.cpio.Z and pubsrc.cpio.Z would be better names for those.

Page generated in 0.04471 seconds with 11 queries