View Single Post
Old 25 May 2021, 16:26   #660
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Waaay more issues then slowdowns.
I could EVEN live with huge slowdowns, if the gameplay was anywhere near the arcade. But it's not. Not even close.
Lack of grab and throw, is the first thing that bothers me. Lack of combos is second. Then, the enemy crazy behavior when they get you in a corner, where you can't do anything then die, ruins the experience completely.
The way that game starts, and you just get hit without time to react.

Richard Aplin did an amazing job, considering it's working on unexpanded A500 (only 500kb), and he said that he even left space for music (but nobody provided).
And he admit that he never liked the game, and it was boring to him.

That makes me think, that with his engine, it was totally possible that we get much closer FF in gameplay as arcade, and if the emgine could use full 1MB, all extra missing moves could be added.
I would be perfectly happy with version like that (even with slowdowns, or choppy scrolling).
RA's Final Fight version was the closest we could get to an A500. Richard had to cuts everywhere to make the game fit.

He even had to remove the elevator level. Final Fight Game logic is huge, and would be very complicated to port on A500, never mind the fact that the CPU would not cope (7mhz vs 10mhz). Note also that the Final Fight Arcade Code is very tight and clean already, so there's not really space for improvement.

Page generated in 0.06849 seconds with 11 queries