View Single Post
Old 31 March 2020, 21:25   #28
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
The syntax highlighters in this version purely coded in C and can not be customized. But for the future yeah my idea is create som sort of plugin system so third parties can created highlighteres usable in all editors. (which is part of the reason I don't want to do more highlighters for 3.2). Such third parties could then make them based on XML or very fast asm versions.
Sounds good!

Quote:
As for the standard amiga modifers. No is the short answer. The slightly longer is that the Amiga is the only one still holding on to this non standard choice, and even Commodore recognized this back in 93 and were going to change it too. Many wordproccessors on the amiga also use the more modern and world standard modifiers. And this actually goes in line with the fact that shift acts as extended selection modifier in conjunction with the mouse even on the Amiga. That is why Commoodore wanted to fix this. And why I have changed it now. That said, at least inside the code there is a switch to change it.
Fair enough. To be fair, I really think there is no problem holding on to different paradigms if they're sensible and well established. After all, if we wanted everything the same as a modern system we'd be running Windows or Linux instead. For example, hidden application menus behind the right button is totally alien these days, but use an Amiga for 5 minutes and it quickly becomes second nature. But I think that those key shortcuts were (and still are in most parts of the OS) a nice, more flexible and more intuitive substitute for the keys missing on the standard Amiga keyboard, i.e. home, end, page up and page down. I still miss that flexibility all the time when using other systems, and would likely choose another editor for. Given that it's still there in the code, and that the Amiga keyboard layout lacks the buttons to roughly approximate the modern functional equivalent as it is implemented under Windows and Linux, if it was something that could be turned on in the GUI prefs for example, that would be good.

Last edited by Daedalus; 31 March 2020 at 21:31.

Page generated in 0.12573 seconds with 11 queries