View Single Post
Old 05 September 2014, 16:39   #24
solarice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Loving this one! Got any more pictures showing things from the inside? Liking the whole approach so much I would like to replicate this.
No probs, I've taken a few more for you...only with it in situ as theres nothing much to see underneath (if you really need to see it, let me know ).

I winged it as i went, so my info may be a little bit off.

It was also a second attempt so there are some cuts to the case from a previous alternate approach...all hidden when cased so imo it never happened lol.

It roughly goes like this :

First I cut the lid at the hump (its in the way as it hits the lid)...make sure to remove half of the front screw post and the screen support bracket. Thats all you need from that bit.

*see pic for comparison between stock and modded gotek.*

Then cut two strips (to be stacked together) from what's left of the lid (not off the hump) so they are same length as the gap where the floppy drive bolts too.

You can make the width as much as you want, only need enough to allow for the self tapping screws...iirc I made them near enough the same width as the shelf the floppy drive rests on.

This double thickness spacer should now bring the shell up to the same height as the three tabs at the front of the amiga case (you will be resting on these).

You can Epoxy these spacer pieces together, then after checking millions of times you can epoxy them to the gotek shell (when you do the final glue step is up to you as you have very little wiggle room once you bond them to the shell, so they need to be placed 100% correct...)

You need to make sure the drive is far enough back on the three posts to avoid hitting the step in the amiga case lid. A very rough measurement makes it about 3mm to the raised lip, but double check this as you go.

For the front its basically chopped down to the start of the usb opening, then the display opening was cut down to the floor of the gotek shell...how far you cut that will depend how low you prefer the lcd.

I ended up cutting a groove all the way through the base of the gotek case to allow the circuit board on the display to sit as low as possible.

Once you've got the display where you want it re-purpose the display support bracket you cut out earlier and glue it in place.

A bracket was made to replace the stock floppy drive bracket as its now too short.

The extension wiring for the flasher pins is just a few pin connectors, stripboard and some wire. The stripboard at the floppy button hole can be screwed to the underside of the gotek to keep it all in place.

Extra Cool Points : If you have a spare floppy eject button you could also modify one to plug into those ports to hide them while keeping the eject button look.

Hopefully that all makes sense, if not let me know haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StockVSModded.JPG
Views:	1051
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	41402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	1413
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	41403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket.JPG
Views:	1084