View Single Post
Old 12 January 2010, 01:23   #1
Amiga1992

Request: an Amiga disk help network

I didn't know where to put this, so feel free to move it where necessary!

I've had this idea for a while and damn it all to hell, how did I not think to try to start it here before?

I'll cut to the chase.
There's a ton of new users of Amigas nowadays. For whatever reasons that drive them to purchase that A500, A1200 or else on eBay or a car boot sale, they are usually faced with one big initial problem:

"There's so much stuff on the Internet for my machine, but how do I get it into my Amiga?"

The easiest way is to get a diskette with some tools that will help the new user connect his machine to another one and transfer some files over, at least the very first ones that will leave him or her up and running for the rest of the life of its Amiga. We know how this is, we've all done it in a myriad of ways.

I know you can go to Amigakit and buy a solution there, but you know you can get the tools for free and someone's help. And it would be nicer.

I would like to test run a community effort here and set up a network of disk-swappers that would help people acquire diskettes to help get their AmIgas running. This is like the old diskswapping days. Who knows, after a while, you might start swapping other materials on disk like in the good old days (for example, artwork or music), but for now, my intention is to help some people out who don't know what to do with their new Amigas and don't have as much expertise as some of us do here.

Perhaps someone doesn't want a way to transfer stuff, maybe only wants Deluxe Paint, or some trackers. Whatever it is, I know we can make a world wide network of people offering the service for those in need.

At the same time, it'd be a nice requirement for people who received this help, to be a new node of distribution that can help someone else. The more people cross more locations means local mailings, which are cheaper and more reliable, are a possibility. Extra brownie points for those who send back something in exchange for the help. It's a very gentleman thing, it has codes an honour.

Besides the idea, I would like to contribute with the creation of a couple of "Master Disks", containing a variety of solutions for different people. Anyone is free to amend, change or create new ones. One requirement though: all of them have to include a copying software that will allow the recipient to extend the network. I can post these disks as soon as I see interest in this project.

We might also need some sort of web presence for this, which could be easily sorted. I think this is like the "Hospitality Club", only about Amiga diskettes .

I remember I sent a couple of disks of this type around in the good old times of the "Amiga Forum" on Network54!

What do you people think of this, and how generous do you think you are? I know it takes some of your time and money (disks and mailing, not much, but hey...), but it could be fun. I can only dream, I am very utopian some times.

Try not to insult me back too much for this tl;dr post :P. Cheers!

Page generated in 0.05463 seconds with 11 queries