View Single Post
Old 07 May 2020, 11:42   #110
Fastdruid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdruid View Post
Personally I feel it's a chicken and egg scenario.
No, it is a "missed market" understanding. The way how Os 4 is run is IMHO under the assumption of a home-computer market we had in the 1980: Provide the hardware, an Os, some documentation and users care about the rest.
I'm in agreement.

It is both. It is a missed market but it's a missed market because it's a chicken and egg scenario and as was true even in the 80's it's all about the software. No software, no one buys it, no one buys it no software.

Quote:
This model does not work anymore. It died around 1990.
It was on its death bed long before then. Hell it's one of the reasons the Amiga initially struggled and even before then Commodore were struggling because they were making new machines that didn't run anything that had come before and so people were starting from scratch. It took the Amiga hardware being *cheap* to get a foothold in the marketplace. Which is why RPi is popular, it's cheap and also backwards compatible as well as running loads and loads of software with relatively little effort.

Quote:
I really do not see a niche for Os 4 at all - not back then, not today. It simply does not address any particular need a customer may have. If I need the software and the performance, then a PC will do, including emulation. If I need retro-computing, the 68K model will do. If I need "homebrew computing", the raspi will do more than fine (at a fraction of the price).

The problem Os 4 is attempting to solve is just unclear to me.
Also in agreement. The only niche is the niche itself. It was a niche ~20 years ago. Its a vanishingly tiny niche now.

Page generated in 0.04227 seconds with 11 queries