View Single Post
Old 07 October 2008, 09:53   #3
andy
Back.

Cool

TCD and Dust90, I'm pleased to say that Gunship 2000 does support analogue control. In fact, I posted a response about three weeks ago in which I stated that it was one of the games that I used way back in the '90s via a PC analogue stick and adapter.

Actually, before heading off for my boxes of manuals, I've searched and found what may be the relevant info at Lemon Amiga. I'm switching between tabs here, so forgive me if my first-draft reply is a little messy! Here goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Amiga
Controls:

Gunship 2000 can be run entirely from the keyboard, with mouse and keyboard, or with joystick and keyboard. An analog joystick greatly improves the "feel" and realism, and is therefore strongly recommended.
As I remembered, there is a mention of a configuration screen (where you can customise both the controls and in-game settings such as the level of graphical detail or draw distance and so on). Copying and pasting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Amiga
Configuration Screen:

When in flight, Pause the game and press the "C" keys to access the configuration screen. This allows you to alter your method of control, and to set the detail level. Increasing detail may delay screen updates, and is initially set on 'medium detail', which is fine for basic Amigas. If you have a powerful machine, increase the detail level. If you want a faster game, reduce the detail level.
Alt-P pauses, by the way!

If you want the whole text (which is a mix of the for-PC main manual and the Amiga-related addendum), you'll find it here.

Lastly (and sadly), I can't provide any useful info about the adapter that I have, Dust90. It was bought from a now long-gone company, so it's a matter of looking around or getting the soldering iron out and building your own. As someone who played Grand Prix and Gunship 2000 for at least hundreds of hours, I'd say that along with a Microsoft force-feedback wheel that I bought for far more along with Grand Prix Legends in 1998, that little adapter is one of the finest game or computer-related purchases that I have ever made - and ignoring the mechanical machines, I've been gaming since the days of the Pong clones! As one forum member has demonstrated, it could depend on if you were playing Gunship 2000 et al back then or if you like analogue, so I can only recommend giving it a try and reporting your own experiences. That fine control and its extra immersion has to be worth the little effort or money it could cost - just to try it!

Oh, before I go, here are a couple of earlier threads:

One

and

Two!

Post #6 in the second thread has some info on adapters and includes a not entirely correct list of supposed analogue-enabled games - 'supposed', as the list is at least partly incorrect (certainly with regard to F/A-18 Interceptor). I bought Interceptor way back when and as a search through the text provided on Lemon Amiga would support, made no finding of a provision for analogue controls (something which I would have been near-ecstatic to discover all those years ago!).

Okay, it's time for a breather, so...

Happy flying... with fine control!

Page generated in 0.04394 seconds with 11 queries