View Single Post
Old 05 November 2020, 19:37   #90
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Yes, that is certainly a recommended setup, though it still means that any attempt to open a native screen will cause a screen to open on the CVisionPPC. This is unavoidable. As stated, the CVisionPPC firmware installs already at boot-time patches (well, not exactly that, but close enough) that replace the functions that build a native display. So any attempt to get a native screen through the operating system must fail.

Okay, that makes sense to me. It's what I was also figuring. Interesting that if I disable CVPPC Monitor, the Picasso 4 will change display and show native Amiga screen. Even if the CVPPC board is connected to CSPPC. Hmm..

Quote:
All P96 can do is to overwrite these functions with its own, so the "CVisionPPC software scandoubler" aka "firmware driven mode promotion" continues to work. It cannot remove these patches as the original entry points have been lost.

Ahhhh, that's what I was getting at. So this is what CyberGFX 4 is doing. They found a way to override CVPPC Firmware. Which point to info that you commented on before, they got info fro Phase 5 to do it. Nice...for them, nasty for others like yourself..and us. Haha!

Quote:
In short: Once you have a CVisionPPC in your system, the native Amiga video output is dead and cannot be reached from the operating system.

I'm getting this about the OS...now. It's only reachable by the Hardware, Picasso 4/CVisionPPC and Driver software Picasso96/P96 and CGX 4. So, if I connected to my literal Amiga Video out port, which I don't have a connector for..it would display but not any game or other programs screens.

Quote:
Which is not surprising because there is still the mode promotion for the CVisionPPC active. Again, see above: CVisionPPC in the system, no native video.

That's too bad, but P5 decided that you get one once booting with the CVisionPPC in the system.

Since the mode promotion in CVisionPPC is still active, that's why if I have Workbench displayed on CVPPC and run a WHDLoad game, it then shows on Picasso 4 digitized screen...not always "correct" video, some off center happening with some games, but very much playable.

When I boot the A4000..I get displays from both PicassoIV and CVisionPPC of Boot menu, and my custom menu before anything else loads, including SetPatch. So both are displaying native Amiga screen during boot. So, both are digitizing it. Hmm.. Years later, interesting what you learn. Always learning. Fantastic.

Quote:
That wouldn't help me because it would still not document how to get rid of the P5 firmware patches to the system. That is undocumented, vendor-specific territory. P5 tended *not* to document what they did, and any attempt to get information from them ended in a disaster. I tried that in the past, and it didn't work. I don't want to go through the painful exercise once more.

Here's the part I commented about. Cool for P5 & CGX..but not for us and You now. I've read about your attempts, I very much understand.

Quote:
No, I afraid not. If WHDLoad uses the operating system to open a screen, then that screen will open on whatever graphics card WHDLoad tells the Os to open on. Let it be a CVisionPPC screen or a PIV-screen. That surely works. If it attempts to open a native screen, that will *forcefully* end up as a CVisionPPC screen, without any chane of having that fixed. If it decides to poke the custom chips, well... I'm out of the game.

If I have Workbench on PIV screen, WHDLoad ATTEMPTS and fails to display on CVPPC, and sound is very odd. If I have Workbench on CVPPC, then WHDLoad displays on PIV..and everything is functioning as it should.

You've helped clarify well. I knew we'd get there. Hehe. It's an easy enough workaround for now. Either display CVPPC monitor OR display Workbench on CVPPC. Not hard to do. Just didn't expected to have to do that. It's worth it for new Intuition.

Page generated in 0.33445 seconds with 11 queries