View Single Post
Old 04 October 2022, 13:50   #308
wardo

** Not enough chip memory for this slave!

Hi All,

I just joined EAB after a few years of reading only. Learned so much from reading this thread (and forum) and from all of your expertise, so thank you chaps!

To introduce myself, my name is wardo and I am running the following setup. Forgive the detail, but I had to tell somebody
  • Amiga 500 - stock, no mods (security seal still in place). 512K chip, 512K trapdoor expansion.
  • Kickstart 1.3, Workbench 1.3 (modified to "warda bench"!).
  • GVP Impact Series II A500-HD8+ (running 8MB memory expansion).
  • HD8+ SCSI2SD - 4GB SD card with 4x 500 MB partitions (I have the original (working) quantum drive too!). Faastprep prepared. WB 1.3 loaded to System:
  • 3D designed and printed bracket for the SCSI2SD within the HD8+ - fits perfectly.
  • Mouster and wired Xbox 360 controller - works a treat.
  • 30" Panasonic Quintrix (widescreen, flatscreen) CRT (it's enormous!) via Scart RGB (Retro Computer Shack cable - thank you Mr Priddey, looks grand)
  • Sound from A500 2x RCA to Rotel (separate Pre / Power) Amp & (large) Castle floorstanding speakers via high end QED interconnects - awesemo!
  • Amiga Explorer, Belkin Null Modem cable to / from PC
  • JST v7.2 from the GIT (cherry on the cake!)

// ====================================

First off, for any of you who have taken this journey, I am sure you understand the pleasure involved - it's a wonderful, step by step process!

I have been heavily inspired and encouraged by these two dudes (amoung others), so major cudos to:

Shot97
[ Show youtube player ]

The Retro Roadshow
[ Show youtube player ]

Secondly, thank you soooo much JOTD for not only writing, but also maintaining JST in 2022 and beyond. Without JST, us (stock) A500 users would be dead in the water using HDD slaves.

I think it is fair to say that JOTD is a true A500 hero! Although I love the disk experience (who doesn't), JST and the HD8+ has opened up a whole new world for my humble A500. It is so much more ...

I have a few questions. I am sure this will expose my fundamental lack of understanding but, no matter, here goes.

Pretty much all of the software I have been testing has come from the grandis server, which I believe you guys are using too and that is where the latest file versions are stored - please correct me if wrong?!

I grab the file from grandis, extract the .lha archive and send all extracted files to the GVP HDD via Amiga Explorer and the Null Modem cable - all good (I love progress bars ... no, really!). Most software works well using this method.

However, I am experiencing some errors which I can't quite work out. For example, when I try and run the Settlers game, I get an error:

jst settlers.slave -> "** Not enough chip memory for this slave!"

Looking at the "Readme" for Settlers, it states: "The installed program requires 0.5 MB ChipMem and 5 MB OtherMem." I reckon I should be good to go?

So I am somewhat confused. I have the same issue with some other software I have tried. I have tried passing various parameters to JST, but nothing seems to help (VERBOSE is interesting).

What am I missing here chaps? Any pointers are gratefully received. Forgive the long post!

Many Thanks,

wardo.

Last edited by wardo; 04 October 2022 at 14:08.

Page generated in 0.06522 seconds with 11 queries