View Single Post
Old 27 January 2023, 13:09   #5
vk3heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
I'm not sure who would appreciate the samba hooks... =)
Samba is there for users that don't know linux enough, and they can put files on the system from a windows machine with the least effort.

Quote:
It's obviously true of course, but I'm gunna guess a lot of folks construe that as being 'a debian linux install that I can log into and browse the web with' type of 'underneath'
...something like that.
Not one single thing is mentioned of there being a GUI. It states "Boots to a text menu system". I have NO plans to add the extra GUI junk to the default system. If someone want's a fancy GUI, then go install some other linux distro and then add FS-UAE.

The aim of AmiDeb is to be as sleek as possible, and not have the extra processing power that a GUI plus all it's crap ensures.

Quote:
....if one was going to have a normal debian xsession login, best idea would be to spawn that from an option on the amideb frontend...just saying...
What people do after the install it upto them.

Quote:
I see AmiDeb as the basis for a linux appliance...so to speak. Ebay and the like are littered with cheap, small 'thin client' type boxes with more than enough poke to pull this off. That all said, what hardware it ended up installing on, wasn't my first hardware of choice...so I'm gunna go back there...I'm thinking clonezilla 8)
That is what I was aiming AmiDeb at. Amulator was/is a great way of doing it, but it was very limited. I wanted to have a machine that could be updated, and customized. A machine that booted right into the Amiga environment (I added the menu system as a stepping stone)...

When I sort out some other things going on here, I'll be moving my current Amiga based bbs of Amilhlon to AmiDeb.

If you want to collaborate on the project then reach out.

Stephen

Page generated in 0.04376 seconds with 11 queries