Old 14 June 2020, 11:37   #17
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Done
Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
yeah, okay then it's still a port all right. t just makes it look like you adapted the MS DOS code (not practical with all that x86 asm/pascal crap languages) when you used your engine to redo all.

What would be interesting to look into would be if there was some obscure AI algorithm that is difficult to recreate. But here you "just" have to get the "physics" right. I guess most of the original source code displays enemies/handles scrolling/sound/controls... useless.

Believe my experience though, recreating the level data (enemies & their setup) by eyeball is really tedious and frustrating. I've done that for Gods enemies in my java remake (not port as I rewrote code from scratch ) and that was really brutal (the tiles were converted though...)
I believe you! Doing the first level from eyeball was a pain, I don't think I want to do that for the next five plus all of the pipe areas.

I'm hoping the physics will be 'good enough'! I'm not totally sure I'll copy every mechanic from the original (which had a discrete run button, and you couldn't reach full jump height unless you were running), but as long as it's an enjoyable game, and a decent demonstration of what Scorpion can do, I won't worry too much about getting it 100% right.

Page generated in 0.08612 seconds with 11 queries