View Single Post
Old 19 May 2021, 09:58   #47
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I agree. Patches should only be used when you don't have the source.
Source code always helps, even when patching in WHDLoad. When the developer/author(s) of a game or demo decides they don't want a feature or fix support for certain hardware, or they turn inactive, then what? A source fork handled in a repository elsewhere?

Quote:
Yes. All new games will be coded bare metal to work only on a specific machine, and every other Amiga will need WHDLoad to run them. Any bugfixes will be applied via WHDLoad. Then WHDLoad will be integrated into the latest OS so nobody who doesn't upgrade to it will be able to run them. This will be called 'progress'.
WHDLoad is a very efficient and system friendly sandbox providing max compatibility with optional patching at launch, to me this is an elegant method as media is not patched directly/permanently.

Besides, take any library, like MUI for example, many developers use it, and now you have dependencies as a user, how is that any different?

If a developer makes an OS friendly game which can run from the hard drive, and is compatible with most hardware then there is no need for WHDLoad. If someone still wants to make a slave for it, to add some feature, does it matter? It's all optional to use. The developer can add the feature as well, so many choices and all beneficial.

Quote:
But I don't use it because I can't be bothered setting it up. These days anything that isn't 'point and click' or takes longer than 10 seconds to figure out loses my interest very rapidly. The Amiga was supposed to make such frustrations a thing of the past. You would think that after 30 years that goal would have been achieved.
Quote:
Perhaps, but ProAsm, BAsm and PhxAss don't accept it. Since these are the only assemblers I use...
First time I encounter a fellow assembler programmer who relies on "point and click".

CLI or Shell...
Code:
whdload game.slave
Too hard for you?

Last edited by modrobert; 19 May 2021 at 10:40.

Page generated in 0.04589 seconds with 11 queries