View Single Post
Old 23 September 2014, 18:41   #4
mark_k

I'm not sure about your specific drive, but there were other types of IBM external floppy which you might have more luck with, possibly even as a high density drive too.

Back in the day Amitek sold a Dell DX9 external floppy drive (with Amitek badge covering the Dell logo ), along with a connecting cable. That worked as a normal/proper HD floppy drive with Amigas; it spins at 150rpm with HD disks. I have one.

You can see pictures of the drive and cable (not mine) on this Amibay thread. I'm not sure what circuitry is in the cable, but it doesn't look like they modified the drive at all (though I guess that is possible).

Now, the Dell DX9 drive is apparently made by Teac and is functionally identical to certain drives IBM sold for use with Thinkpad laptops. See this page about that. If you Google the various IBM part numbers on that page, you'll see pics of the IBM version, which though the casing differs seems to use an identical connector. There are pictures of what is probably the IBM version of the drive in this eBay listing.

So it would be nice to know:
- Exactly what circuitry is in the Amitek cable?
- Did Amitek modify the DX9 drive at all?

If they didn't modify the drives, it might be feasible to make your own cable.

Page generated in 0.06808 seconds with 11 queries