View Single Post
Old 26 August 2013, 20:31   #27
pkersey

Hi. Sharing my experience here.

Had a shot at this. Scratching the green paint didn't do any good, it was very difficult not to scratch the thin conductive tracks underneath (I don't know as for you but my A600's got a very thin track running under the paint, not a sturdy metal rail).

What I did was to spill lots of isopropyl alcohol over the ribbon's edge and rub it firmly with a cotton swab. I had to use a new swab every now and then because the paint turned into a sandpaper after 20-25 scrubs and that could ruin my work.

Doing like that the tracks were exposed with no further traumas. I did the cut only after the tracks were exposed so that I could make them all match sizes.

I'll post pictures soon proving this method is guaranteed and supposed to be safer than dry-scraping with a knife or a screwdriver. Perhaps a video. If you have any small ribbon pieces kicking around you can try and check for yourselves before doing it on a real Amiga keyboard.

BTW, all this wasn't enough to save my membrane because it's corroded in so many places, turned out the edge wasn't the problem when I went to check further. I have some other ideas to repair it, but I'd rather buy me another membrane (anyone got a spare? no luck in yet).

Page generated in 0.04255 seconds with 11 queries