Thread: AGA or RTG
View Single Post
Old 20 September 2021, 17:10   #103
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
shut down? aprox 500 delivered so far and more going out...

you can get TF1230 today. with 64 or 128MB of ram. and if not buy it. why not build it yourself. data is out there free to use. Builders can build it with 64MB of ram for like 130-140ish euros with a small profit for their work. if you do it yourseld you could maybe stretch it to aprox 100eur per board..
this including a 50MHz 030..
I hear you Chucky. And yet I can't click anywhere, pay and just buy one when I was considering it a year ago. I'd have to "not be a dick" give someone a secret handshake...all to get slightly better than a PiStorm (with RTG capability it appears!) for the very few demos that benefit from it? Someone suggested the Blizzard PPC/RTG solution - and the PiStorm spanks it on MIPS based on some SysInfos I saw.

But it was all for the best Chucky. It gave me time to read things about this 68060 and found that my want of it was misguided in the first place. Just silliness of wanting to relive the desires of yesteryears.

I read that the 68060 is really not going to give me anything significant to my use case of enjoying some original games, workbench, productivity tools for graphics and image capture and some 8bit sound sampling fun, printing out to my dot matrix. In essence, absolutely not necessary for my 1994 time-travel experience.

I'm actually reading plenty of things about incompatibility with 68040/68060 issues on various code out there, where 68030 does it flawlessly. Or the heat issues on the bigger CPUs or overclocked CPUs that impact stability - yet another reason for 68020/68030 to be the way.

As for building a 1230...hey, I hear you about that too. There is reward in doing that and I honestly respect those who can, have the skill and tools to do it. I think I could, but I could potentially make a mess of it. Plus I don't want to experiment and potentially mess up a 1200. Those are precious and no need to have an amateur mess one up trying to make it slightly faster with a 68030 than ease of click and get 1221lc. I have plenty of other awesome projects to work on that are lined up for this winter. Two titanium bike frames to be built out. Two carbon bikes as well. Amazing turntable customization project I have to finish - really that one needs so little and the result will blow fans of McIntosh audio away. Along with two cassette decks I have to build and a reel to reel deck that I believe in my mind will amaze, if I can only bring my vision to reality.

Actually, I have two amazing Amiga projects as well lined up. Already nearly there. Incredibly, NO ONE has done what I'm about to do with these two plans. I'm quite certain it will impress the community. Coming in the very near future. I have a feeling that many Amiga fans are going to look at these and be impressed. Maybe even try to do it themselves.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 20 September 2021 at 18:01.

Page generated in 0.04489 seconds with 11 queries