View Single Post
Old 03 March 2023, 23:20   #32
larsovef

It seems like these Panasonic JU-253 can be hard to repair. I am working on one now, after the regular stuff: clean, lube, change caps the disk spins up but does not read. Upon initial boot up it does not even return to track zero. But it is ticking and searching. What to do next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1n View Post
I picked up an A1200 dirt cheap that came with a JU-253-043P. Long story short:
- Cleaned and lubed the drive
- ATK booted without an issue first try
- Second time it refused to work and continued to do so until I left it for the day after (... when it worked _ONCE_ and then gave up again)
- Replaced both 10uF SMD caps with new SMD caps (Panasonics)
- Still only worked once per day or so
- Decided to recap the A1200 to rule that out. No change.
- Tried another Citizen drive. No issues at all.
- I've been fiddling with the variable resistor next to the hall sensor but it doesn't seem to make a difference (originally at 19k ohms - tried anything from 6k to 35k).
- The drive works when the fly wheel decides to spin. This happens quite rarely but when it does the read test, head allignment etc works without any issues in ATK until I power cycle.

... then I stumbled upon this rabbit hole (thread)

I just made a little discovery. I can get the drive to work whenever I want to. I just have to move the magnet on the fly wheel a little bit (maybe 3-5mm) left to the hall sensor and then insert the disk. As soon as I power cycle I have to repeat this to get the drive working again. Not a fantastic user experience

Is the hall sensor RIP or is there something else with my drive?

Page generated in 0.06745 seconds with 11 queries