View Single Post
Old 23 October 2006, 09:29   #19
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

OK that's 30 votes and 26-4 in favour of Rick D. Now the reason for the poll!

I was looking over the "Amiga Power All Time Top 100" lists and Kid Gloves was in the top 100 5 years out of the 6. Rick Dangerous was only in it the first year, and below Kid Gloves. Strangely, the inferior sequel Rick Dangerous 2 was in position 17 in the first year (1991) then never again!

This means Amiga Power disagrees with the vast majority of us over this game! The majority of people think Rick D is the better game, yet Amiga Power continually raved about this game. I reckon because it was on their coverdisk. If it had been on Zero or some other rival mag, I imagine it would never have made it into a top 100 list at all. No doubt Stuart Campbell will come on and say we are all wrong...

My reasons for Rick D being the better game:

- The game is very slick
- If ever invisible traps suited a game, it's an Indiana Jones style game
- Cute graphics
- Awesome sound effects (shooting, dying, blowing up explosives)
- Memorable music
- The main character is great
- It was released a year before Kid Gloves, so you would hope KG would make better use of the machine

Reasons I dislike Kid Gloves:

- Shocking collision detection
- Crap inertia when jumping
- If you move a pixel too far into falling towers of blocks you are dead
- Rather than fix the falling tower problem they gave you 9 lives to start to compensate
- Garish graphics
- Unmemorable music (the sound effects are very crisp however!)
- There is nothing slick about the game

I just checked and the average mark on Lemon is significantly higher for Rick D, as well as higher game review scores in the magazines too. How did AP get it so wrong?

Page generated in 0.04492 seconds with 11 queries