View Single Post
Old 20 October 2021, 17:56   #3
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I know Amiga Explorer is nothing special, the reason it's doing a good job at preserving the floppies of CB is tied to the fact that the disks are not protected against copy (manual protection deemed sufficient by the publisher). Where's your sense of humour ? Anyway, my proposal (on behalf of some AmigaLove members who are in favor of this) still holds. It appears intric8 original was discreetly fixed for 1 MB chip machines. If you don't believe me, load the ADF's he posted on Amigalove (I can zip his version and upload it in The Zone!*, if that's Ok with him) in WinUAE with 1 MB chip ram and 0 slow / fast ram, the game loads fine. Now, do the same with any of the TOSEC versions, the game fails to load.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with my A500 if you consider the Agnus has been replaced to support 1 MB chip ram. It's the missing link between a bog standard A500 featuring 512k slow / fast additional RAM and an A500+ so to speak. Think Steve Austins, bionic A500 in a way! This is deliberate, I could have bought a less customized machine but 1 MB chip had more appeal to me. When I post about a game that fails to load due to the lack of slow / fast ram, it doesn't imply I am complaining about it, just spreading the word aiming at folks whose miggys bear 1 MB chip or more and are deprived of a 1024k / 512k mem switch.

Quite frankly, I didn't expect to find that many games which would need the ross fixing-for-all-config type of treatment (remember those "AGA fixes" that used to be popular before WHDLoad was a thing ? Well, not of all of them were trash, some can even prove useful even though my machine is not AGA). When turrican9 asked us to list such games, the sole title I had in mind was Wayne Gretzky Hockey I. If you play WGH I and WGH II from original in a row, you will notice they are very similar in terms of gfx and presentation. That implies the publisher wanted 1+ MB chip machines users (the A500+ & the A3000 most notably, at the time of release) to enjoy the game too. Not all publishers would bother hiring developers to publish a second opus just to fix issues with 1 MB chip config, mind you (WGH II bears a few additional features vs WGH I, but the main ingredient is elsewhere)! My point is fixing games for 1 MB chip (pre-AGA) machines doesn't come out of nowhere, nor it is some kind of passing fancy, contrary to popular belief.

Now if you fail to understand not all 1 MB A500's are created equal, there's not much more I can do. I know some peeps would simply buy as many Amiga's as necessary to have access to each and every title from the huge "A500 / A2000" catalog, including those early Activision titles which require 1.2 KS, good for them if they have the dough and room space. Personally, I'd rather have one (1) Amiga, at the risk of not being able to play a bunch of early titles momentarily or permanently, to each his own.

Edit (*) : Ok, intric8 version now in The Zone !

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 October 2021 at 21:34.

Page generated in 0.04372 seconds with 11 queries