View Single Post
Old 09 September 2008, 17:31   #9
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
keropi: not sure why you would consider the Falcon "useless". Hardwarewise it stands toe-to-toe with the A1200 and in a lot of areas it actually beats our beloved 1200 hands down (DSP sound chip, YM sound coprocessor, real 24bit graphics, 030 as standard)

the only areas it really fails in for me is a lack of PCMCIA interface (which has been a god-send on a600/a1200s) and its OS. I don't think I could ever really get used to TOS/MiNT after the luxury of AmigaOS! But then that is more a personal preferance, as most hardcore Atari ST/Falcon owners say the exact same thing about AmigaOS

Despite being one of the rarest homecomputers of its era, the Falcon also has a very strong community. Particularly if you're into watching demos, there are some great demos on the Falcon!

The Falcon is one of the great homecomputers imo.
do you happen to have a falcon or tried to use one? It's ease-of-use is near to zero. The only good thing is that it outputs VGA , nothing else. There are a bunch of OS'es to choose from, software to register and all boil down to very limited usage. Unless you want it for midi perhaps, but I am pretty sure recent solutions are equal if not better.
Good luck trying to transfer the FreeMint 70+MB package using floppy disks... what? you need to use a scsi zip drive? and a harddisk? ofcourse, register HDDriver. need help for your setup? where to turn to? to the almost zero community? For crying out loud, you can't even order a ps2-mouse adaptor these days! Trying to play some falcon-fixed games on your blazing-fast CT060 falcon? tough luck, they all just reset the machine. Except some 40 falcon games , and demos (and having a machine just to play demos plain sucks IMHO) you are VERY VERY limited. The "atari scene" is nothing like the amiga one , and that was a GREAT dissapointment for me. So yeah, for me they are crappy. Good hardware needs good software too. In the same sence an Archimedes should be a super machine to use. but no.
and I have 2 falcons...

Page generated in 0.04224 seconds with 11 queries