Thread: ZERO Magazine.
View Single Post
Old 09 January 2002, 09:59   #5
Tim Janssen

Smile ZERO Hero

I have only two ZERO mags in my posession (November 1990 and June 1992) and have asked myself often why I haven’t bought more issues. I think lack of pocketmoney is an obvious reason.

The most positive point about the magazine is the way reviews were written: although not in-depth they had lots of humour and a style. I quite liked the lay-out: one part of a review is an objective description about the story and features of the game and in the other part the reviewer stressed his/her opinion. It kinda reminded me to Zzap.
I agree with Codetapper about the scores: they were way too high. ZERO was an allround 16-bit magazine and followed the typical “never mind the gameplay, look at the graphics!”-ideology. Even a crap game like Virgin’s Judge Dredd scored somewhere in the 70%.
The number of advertisements in the November 1990 –issue was way too high: it almost took up half the magazine. But on the other hand these are the most beautiful I have ever seen: Mean Streets, Paradroid 90, Awesome, Obitus, Killing Game Show and the Flip-It & Magnose-ad are really artworks.

I don’t know what happened the last few issues of ZERO, but from one month to the other it had turned from an intelligent looking glossy paper into a loudy American A4-sized mag packed in plastic with Smurfs-snot for free. Add to this the fact the magazine was banned one month from WH Smiths because they put a demo of Covergirl Strippoker on coverdisc the chances for survival were nihil.

Page generated in 0.04611 seconds with 11 queries