View Single Post
Old 09 September 2001, 23:56   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I'm getting ready to have to go to work, but when I get back home, I will dig up the instruments for you.

Back in the early to mid 90's, I was making a CD called Totally Amiga Music which was a collection of my mods and such. To fill up space and because they are hard to find, I went through my rather large DMCS and SMUS collection and archived them all with the instruments. It was a painstaking labour of love, but would be worth the effort. Until I could finish, I used AmiBack and my dat drive to back up the data (in segments). I also had some ultra-rare, hard-to-rip mods from games with an emphasis on exotic formats. It was a beautiful collection.

But I fell victim to one of the lethal AmiBack bugs which crashed the Amiga while writing to the tape. It set no end marker on that particular backup which made every backup prior to that one no longer accessible. It broke my heart. The same thing happened to my Totally Games I was working on, which had some ultra rarities including some homegrown stuff that cannot be replaced.

I still have those tapes because I have this utopian idea that one day, a fix for this problem will occur. I called Moonlight Software at the time, but they'd packed their bags and disappeared (apparently, I wasn't the only victim of this bug...)

My friend Kevin, who coded the Apple II emulator Apple 2000, got me around some previous roadblocks with AmiBack bugs, but this one was too overwhelming. (sigh)

Page generated in 0.10567 seconds with 11 queries