Thread: PDOS for Amiga
View Single Post
Old 04 March 2021, 09:31   #33
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Not really. It tries its best to store the machine state, take over the system completely, and in this state, the called games cannot call the Os. It also tries to restore the state.

However, see the autodocs: You cannot block the interrupts for an elongated time and hope that the system returns in proper shape. It probably works on your system, due the imense work that went into this hack, but that doesn't mean that the system supports this type of activity.
Well, I didn't mean to say it was supported by the OS because that is clearly not true. I meant to say that it's possible to do it regardless (especially if you don't desire to return to the OS afterwards), even though it's not recommended in any way. As far as I know, WHDLoad is one of the most used tools on the Amiga and works across a wide variety of system configurations - not just my A1200 or A600

It is however certainly true it doesn't always (fully) work. IIRC it has some issues with networking in particular and no doubt it may have other incompatibilities as well. Overall, the best advice IMHO would still be to either use the OS or not use it at all.

Page generated in 0.04237 seconds with 11 queries