View Single Post
Old 13 August 2019, 15:02   #70
kipper2k

Hi Mick,

I have been giving this project some more thought and i think it is a great idea. The one thing i want to see is the capability of the board to allow addons and plugins for accelerators etc. When people make their boards they normally use sockets as it is a safety net so to speak in case you get a bad chip. The thing is, the CPU cannot fit inside a socket as the A600 needs a PLCC socket to be placed on top of it upside down to (try) to get a good connection when trying to use addon boards.

If a person solders the CPU directly onto the motherboard then they really need to do a very good job or they won't be able to get a socket over the top. this will limit the amount of people willing to take on the build challenge. This is the reason why i was hoping that the CPU signals can be broke out into a header/s so that people can tap into them.

Board houses now offer 0.0035" traces and 0.008" vias on a 4 layer board which make the layout much more easy to adapt.

(my tuppence worth

edit; another suggestion; using a 2mm header (same as used on the HDD) could be used, it does not take up a lot of space and would give a positive connection, you could use 2 x 34 headers in the 4 row configuration

Last edited by kipper2k; 13 August 2019 at 15:09.

Page generated in 0.04210 seconds with 11 queries