View Single Post
Old 22 July 2018, 17:37   #10
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo79 View Post
My question is not for fanatic Amiga users.

I have the doubt,that Amiga did NOT dominated the scene of video editing.
That is not actually a question, but a statement. Assuming you meant to ask: did the Amiga dominate the video editing scene?

The answer is probably yes. And no. Depending on what part of the market you look at.

In Hollywood productions, probably not. In local cable companies and for effects work on TV series, probably yes.

Quote:

That its not true that amiga has been heavily used for start trek,babylon 5,seaquest.

But that the use of amiga was marginal,and also that these was special cases.
Well, your beliefs are wrong.

Seriously, I could write a massive post detailing all the stuff you can simply find by a Google search or two as well as dive deep into computer history and look up all the stuff in books and magazines, but it's hardly worth it - you could've done most of that yourself but instead came here to challenge common wisdom based on your beliefs (and/or desires) instead.

The use of the Amiga in professional video (and even some movie) productions is well documented and if you don't like this or don't want to believe it, well - you're entitled to that.

Just understand that your belief doesn't change the facts

Quote:

I know that was Macintosh+Avid card to dominate video editing.

In the world of video editing,video toaster was only an alternative,low cost solution.
Professionals used Avid.
As far as I've been able to find using Google, the avid community forums and Wikipedia, Avid was initially not so succesful and only became successful in 1994-1995 after releasing newer, more capable hard and software.

In other words, the rise of Avid happened after Commodore went under, there where no more Amiga's to buy and as a result the Video Toaster and related products likewise were harder to sell for a while (NewTek only went over to the PC after 1994/1995).

Also, the Amiga/Toaster 'video revolution' was mostly centred around broadcast TV and stuff meant for broadcast TV. Avid's rise to fame seems to be centred around movies. Which is a completely different market.

So... Even if your story is fully true (which I have not been able to corroborate completely during my admittedly short research), it all happened after the Amiga had already faded from the marketplace and in a market that had little to do with the one the Amiga/Video Toaster was used to begin with.

Last edited by roondar; 22 July 2018 at 17:42.

Page generated in 0.04559 seconds with 11 queries