View Single Post
Old 02 September 2021, 14:01   #46
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Shame on you.

The phrase “Man up” needs to disappear, and it will, thankfully. Here in this thread, an individual was looking for the opportunity to vent some emotional difficulties. Had this been a traditionally female space, some support and healing could have happened. But like so many things, old, rigid masculinity comes into play and that opportunity to vent is denied. The person’s needs are dismissed, he is given some “tough love” and told to chin up, but the feelings are never resolved.

And this is why we have such a high male suicide rate, people are ashamed to ask for help.

As to the reason why people seem more offended these days, (and that sounds like it offends you ) there’s a number of reasons:

1. Minorities have become bold enough to speak out, and say “this isn’t ok behaviour”.
2. People have different, innate levels of sensitivity. This can be affected by neurological differences like Autism. Some school bullying victims for instance, are pretty much unscathed, some need years of therapy. Years of hard hard graft.

And these innate sensitivity levels can’t really be changed, perhaps, like MAX, 10% either way in your lifetime if you really work at it.

You are not the arbiter of how everyone else should feel. So the answer to “why is everyone so offended these days?” Is because they are legitimately upset by another person’s actions, they are not “putting it on for attention” or for sympathy, they are legitimately upset.

As a mental health worker, it’s my job to try and help these people. So stop telling people to “Man up”, and don’t make my job harder than it needs to be.

I'm a clinical psychologist. I'm aware of what is lurking in the Western Civilization and I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT. As a man I cannot condone the toxicity that has been going on towards men. As you surely understand, I am fully entitled to my personal opinion and to voice it on the internet. You don't like? Tough luck. Shame on you for not being tolerant enough to respect it.

Page generated in 0.04316 seconds with 11 queries