View Single Post
Old 02 September 2016, 16:02   #1
Master484

Streets of Rage 2 with Blitz

Here is another small Blitz 2 tech demo, which shows a few Streets Of Rage 2 characters moving on screen. The ADF is in the attachment, and it should run even on 512K OCS, but if not, then give it more RAM.

The demo is nothing special, just objects that move left and right, to test Blitter performance on BOBs of this size.

Controls:

W,A,S,D --- move Player
Numbers 1 and 2 --- create and delete enemies.

Again a dual playfield setup is used, with an 8 color foreground and 8 color background.

BOBs are of size 40*70, and the test results on a standard OCS A500 are: 8 BOBs + Player run at 50fps.

Which is pretty good I think...In the original Streets Of Rage 2 on MegaDrive, you usually encounter 4 or 5 enemies at a time. So this amount + two players on screen would be possible to achieve with Blitz 2, if 8 color dual playfield setup would be used for the game, and if the coding is smart.

And 8 sprites could still be used for smaller objects, or maybe even combined to get one extra enemy to screen (which could have colors like green and bright yellow, that are missing from the 8 color BOB palette).

---

Here are some more 8 color OCS versions of the Streets Of Rage sprites:

As you can see 8 colors (or actually 7, because transparency counts as a color) is enough when the palette is well designed. Although surely one can see that it's less colors than in the MegaDrive version, but I think that this is the only way to get a game like this to run at 50fps.

And of course the background can still have it's own set of 8 colors, and the palettes can be adjusted between levels, with the background having more freedom on color choices.

Compare this to the 16 color Golden Axe, that was most likely coded with Assembler: 2 or 3 enemies on screen at the same time, and framerate starts to drop at 3 enemies.

---

The demo also uses two "Queues" for screen buffering, which is similar to normal double buffering, but it's lot faster. This 2 Queue method can only be used with Dual Playfields. So I use "QBlits" and two "Queues" and two alternating Bitmaps...no BOB flickering and it's very fast. Old BOB drawings are erased on the first Bitmap while new BOBs are drawn to the second Bitmap, and then it switches these every frame. And we don't have to worry about damage to the background, because all drawing happens on the Front Playfield.

So I would say that Streets of Rage 2 is definitely possible on the Amiga, and one could surely make it with Blitz Basic 2.

And as usual, the source is included in the disk, you can freely use it in your own projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StreetOfRageBlitz2.png
Views:	4552
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	49730   Click image for larger version

Name:	StreeteOfRage8coors.png
Views:	14955
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	49731  
Attached Files
File Type: zip StreetsOfBlitz2.zip (25.9 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Master484; 02 September 2016 at 16:07.

Page generated in 0.05660 seconds with 12 queries