View Single Post
Old 14 May 2018, 11:09   #9
AdvanceFollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Doesn't really help all that much to be honest. By the time you cross reference what is on the HCL with what you can actually buy (in stock, not sold out) it seems to be a very small list. Once you add complications like networking, sound and video it seems to be a minefield.

I know it is the very lazy way but what it needs is for people to put together a list of known working, can buy off the shelf components and keep it up to date. A bit like the OSX86 scene.

Otherwise it's back to picking a version to download, burn it to CD / USB and see if you can get anything in your house to boot with the media.

It just occurred to me that I have a HP Microserver that is due for retirement. I wonder what components that has in it? It's running Win 2012 Server Core at the moment and has in the past run Linux (well), VMWare (well) and OSX (not so well). Might be worth at least looking up what's in it.
Building an AROS machine does seem to require a bit more research, as well as trial and error to find compatible hardware. Of course, the total cost even including a few mis-purchased, incompatible items like network/sound cards etc. is still much, much lower than the total cost of an AmigaOS4 machine, but it's inconvenient and confusing for new users. It would be very frustrating to build an entire system from new parts, only to find it simply won't boot...

I have an old Phenom II CPU and Asus motherboard, as well as an old GTX 460 video card laying around. Keep thinking I should try to assemble them into an AROS system but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Page generated in 0.04259 seconds with 11 queries