View Single Post
Old 04 August 2016, 02:05   #1
TroyWilkins

Floppy disk 'uninstaller' utility.

An idea I had waaay back in the 90s after seeing how you could 'uninstall' an application on Windows 95 (shudders at the memories), was that would it be possible to have a utility that offered this sort of functionality to Amiga users?

I'm not an Amiga programmer, well was never really much of a programmer of any kind, only dabbling in programming back in the day but never producing, but anyway...

What I was thinking was perhaps a small program that either runs all the time, or you can run before you run an installer, either way have it running when you install something, and it monitors the system for changes and logs them, perhaps even intervening if there is a conflict (such as the installer attempting to install an older version of a library to LIBS, and then being able to compile an 'uninstall' installer script to run at a later date to implement an easy 'uninstall X'. So remove libraries, remove changes to S:Startup-Sequence and S:User-Startup, that sort of thing...

I realise that this may not even be possible, or there could very well be severe limitations, and there are certainly cases that would be difficult, but without myself having a better understanding of how to program for the AmigaOS I wouldn't even know where to start with this.

So, anyone, is this even possible? I know it may not be a much needed thing, but I can't imagine such a thing using much in the way of RAM, and given that it would be a background process that only 'woke up' when changes were made to selected disk locations, I can't imagine that it would use too many CPU cycles, even on a plain 68000. But once again, I could be wrong...

Page generated in 0.07547 seconds with 11 queries