View Single Post
Old 19 November 2009, 10:41   #7
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Sorry about that one, I wrote to fast. That interlace technique can only be used if writing half of the scan lines takes less than a frame, my mistake. If it would always take less than one frame, then you could even use interlace as a souble buffering system, because only half of the scan lines are shown. In this case that doesn't matter, though, so just forget this none sense
It's not a bad idea to use that kind of interlace trick, but sadly chipmem is too slow even for this.
Besides, you might regret that the day your game works on a non-interlaced screen.

Quote:
How is cpu blitting slower than c2p? Anyway, I said it might not be useful
Transparent blitting is easy to do with chunky pixels (write non-transparent ones and skip the others), but in planar mode it's more complicated.
Or do you have a very fast blitting routine ? (I guess not )

Quote:
That's not what I meant. The music is resampled to a frequency the audio dma can handle, and the same goes for the effects, where both of them have the same sample rate.
The effects are already in range, as they are 22050 hz. Of course the music can be resampled to this value, but it would still mean a whole lot of data.

Quote:
Now you can easily mix them at run time in the game as needed. If you want more than four channels total you already have to mix, so why not make it easy? Pre-mixing would mean you'd have to mix for every possible combination, and that would probably take up millions of exa bytes
Of course, but I'd prefer to use tracked music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Cool, I'll have to try this on my Miggy.
Yes

Quote:
If you're after fast C2P you should look at the ADoom source code (on Aminet) although most C2P is designed for low-res screens and will not work with 640x480.
I don't think my C2P can be beaten on '030
(anyway not by enough to be significant)

But perhaps there exists better refreshing methods. For now I just C2P whatever screen region the game tells me to refresh.

Quote:
As for the floating point stuff, you could either target FPU users (like me!) or borrow the fixed-point code from ADoom.
I can't target FPU users for two reasons : the game CAN work without FPU (and it already does), so it MUST work like that. The other reason is that I don't have FPU

I don't see how I could borrow some fixed-point code. What I need is that float stuff to be rewritten to no longer use float. It's not extremely difficult (already half done in the editor), it's just that the game has too many of them to do.

Page generated in 0.05851 seconds with 11 queries