Thread: Shoot-'em-ups
View Single Post
Old 21 June 2021, 15:45   #17
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah well, if people are free to say "RPG" instead of "role playing game", then what's wrong with shmup. Who made the rule that it should be a by the books abbreviation eh?
I’m not trying to police the language, just trying to understand it. Something happened in the past few years—an article, a magazine, a particular game’s marketing or community, a YouTube personality, whatever—something caught on that caused the popularity of “shmup” to skyrocket over “shoot-‘em-up.” I’m curious as to what that was.

It’s interesting that you mention RPGs, because something similar has happened there, too. The term RPG has been around forever, predating the widespread adoption of home computers, probably. And then there’s the subgenre JRPG, for games in the linear, story-driven, Japanese style. The JRPG term has been around since at least the mid 90s but the press still generally referred to them as plain RPGs. Now, everything seems to be specifically a JRPG or a CRPG. The parent term, plain ol’ RPG, seems to be falling into disuse for computer/video games, in my non-scientific observations.

And if we were naming shoot-‘em-ups in the same fashion as RPGs, we’d call them SEUs.
We had SEUCK, but I guess the name didn’t really stick...

Quote:
I think I'll have a go at Streets of Rage 4 again, a bmup that I like a lot.
Bmups? Please, no!
(Ok, maybe I am trying to police the language a little bit )

Page generated in 0.04593 seconds with 11 queries