Thread: PDOS for Amiga
View Single Post
Old 13 March 2021, 13:06   #159
kerravon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
No, you cannot. If you believe you can, you haven't understood how Amiga libraries work. You can provide your own library.
No, you don't understand what I am trying to do.

Quote:
The details are "it is not going to happen". Please understand. If you want to provide a collection of functions, provide your library. I have my doubts anyone is willing to mess with ExecBase for system functionality that is mostly irrelevant.
People who link with PDPCLIB will start messing with ExecBase without even knowing it, if I choose to implement my own ExecBase extensions (which I totally can).

Quote:
An API is a library in AmigaOs terms.
No, that's not what I want. The API will hang off a6.

Quote:
There is already a "Bios" for Amiga, it's called Kickstart, and it comes with a full collection of libraries and library-like objects hardware drivers need to run.
No, that's not the BIOS I am using. See bios.c in bios.zip.

Quote:
Nope. Again, if you believe you can, you haven't understood how they work.
No, you misunderstand my intentions.

Quote:
Well, I won't stop you, but have my doubts. AmigaOs has a shell that is certainly wierd, but certainly better than MS-DOS COMMAND.EXE. There are zero programs that would depend on a self-made API, and there is no software for it either.
That is not correct. All my MSDOS software will run on it after a simple recompile. Assuming you are running AmigaPDOS.

Quote:
Nope. Not as far as this target system goes. Amiga is a different beast, and it works quite differently. I really really suggest to get informed how AmigaOs operates. Read the RKRMs, Rom Kernel Reference Manuals. Start with the "Libraries" volume. You find it in the internet.
No, what I am doing does not depend on that. It depends on a6.

Quote:
Amiga already has an Os that works. For some definition of working. But it works well enough for most people.
And it will still be present, as a glorified BIOS to the BIOS.

Quote:
Well, we don't have 1986, but 2021. If your brain is in 1986, that needs fixing.
Nope. I'm not budging from 1986 until I understand the problem in 1986.

Quote:
Not the Os. And reasons for CBM going bust were certainly not because Amiga had no MS-DOS layer. Actually, bridge-boards for Amigas existed, and they run MS-DOS on top of a 8086 or later processor. CBM also built IBM-compatible machines.
No, none of those things are what I want. I want 68000 code.

Quote:
Look, once again: You still don't understand how the system works.
No, you don't understand my proposal.

Quote:
There is no Bios layer as on other systems.
There is now. See bios.c.

Quote:
If you want to provide an "AmigaOs layer", then that is more than a single system library. It is "all the libraries devices and resources in ROM and those that are delivered as part of the workbench". You can either keep the system intact, and thus write your own library for some sort of MS-DOS layer lookalike, or you can try to implement AmigaOs all yourself. Actually, you may want to look into AROS, which is driven by people that essentially do that. It is essentially a several-man-year job to "replace AmigaOs", and it still doesn't work right.
No, I don't want to do any of those things.

Quote:
Have you checked the calendar lately? Could it be that this is because we have 2021?
I think I've nearly understood 1986. As of today. When I was writing the Amiga Hunk loader and suddenly filled in all the gaps. See the copious comments. I think I'm there.

Quote:
AmigaOs developers don't "check a6". They get SysBase through address 4. That's how it works.
AmgaOS developers don't speak with one voice. Some of them check a6.

Quote:
If you establish another API, this API will not able to run AmigaOs programs.
The new API will be an ADDITION to SOME of the AmigaOS API, so, you are incorrect, it WILL run SOME AmigaOS programs. Specifically ones that abide by the a6 convention and use a very limited set of AmigaOS API calls.

Page generated in 0.04936 seconds with 11 queries