View Single Post
Old 23 April 2020, 20:35   #6
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Tell me about it

Really, really annoying.

It seems to be infecting all walks of life - I saw a patreon link the other day for a *retailer* (not computer-related) who's now expecting people to support the production of his own promotional videos. Unbelievable!

Quote:
...as I said in Richard's thread, maybe EAB should then charge developers who do this to promote their games here.
To be 100% fair to Richard, the links he's posted since then haven't been paywalled, but personally I think EAB would be perfectly justified in addressing the Patreon issue in its rules. Personally I'd be in favour of anything paywalled being removed, but non-paywalled links still being allowed.

Something about Patreon in general makes me uneasy, though - and I can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps it's just that I'm seeing it being used to support the creation of works that are ultimately given away or open-sourced - which seems to me like a good use of the tool - but I'm also seeing it used to provide extra income for commercial products, which feels like double-dipping. (And yes, I get that in a market as small as ours it's hard to charge anything like enough to cover development costs, but still...)

Last edited by robinsonb5; 24 April 2020 at 00:11.

Page generated in 0.04547 seconds with 11 queries