View Single Post
Old 23 January 2021, 21:27   #3
litwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Just some small ones I know for certain. I'm relatively sure you got others on that list wrong as well, but I don't feel like putting in any extra time finding out, as I'm pretty sure I know where this thread is going.

Errr, there's tons of them. Both old and new. These go into the side slot (though some go directly onto chips on the motherboard). In fact, most HDD controllers double as a fast ram memory expansions as well.

Just check the Big Book of Amiga Hardware (https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/).
Here's just one of many, many A500 fast ram expansions as an example: https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...ct.aspx?id=938
Not true, only 0,5,10,20 are used as standard. But you can use any value and I've certainly had executables that exited with other codes.
The lack of a kill command does not mean pre-emptive multitasking is not fully supported. It's actually a rather strange claim as multitasking has nothing to do with the ability to kill programs.

Anyway, it's not even really true: there are ways to kill processes at least starting with OS 2.0+ (which were available on all the systems you mention), although I will admit I'm not entirely sure whether this was a standard command or one that was part of the developer kit.
Thank you. This is something elusive about Fast RAM for the A500. I remember my great disappointment when I got 512 KB memory expansion in the 80s and discovered that it is not any faster than the initial 512 KB Chip RAM. Even today, when I check the A500 with fast RAM I can't get any speed boost. The A1200 with Fast RAM is really much faster than the stock A1200 but it is not true for the A500. Maybe Fast RAM in the A500 makes things faster only for some graphic modes?
I don't understand your claim that "you can use any value and I've certainly had executables that exited with other codes" because there is no way to use them. I only know about the IF-statement for this purpose and it doesn't allow to use anything but five standard values. DOS primitive BAT-files allow to use ERRORLEVEL and I know nothing that corresponds this feature in Amiga DOS.
There is no way to kill a process even in the A1200 WB. Indeed there are different multitasking. Microsoft Windows 3.1 can't kill a process but Microsoft Windows 95 can. So Amiga WB was somewhere between them.
I also forgot to mention the 10th drawback.
10) a very poor multitasking scheduler - it is easy to hang up all system just increasing the priority of a task above 20. IMHO it is rather impossible in any Unix.

Page generated in 0.04773 seconds with 11 queries