View Single Post
Old 21 November 2020, 18:54   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Oh. Bugger. There it is. Well, well, erm...

...Obviously, you just uploaded it now to make me look stupid. It's a conspiracy and you're all in on it! Hmmf.

A few years ago I wrote a (sort of, ish) review of EV and turned it into a video. I searched everywhere for the full version at the time and found nothing in the usual haunts. I'm pretty sure I would have exhausted Google searches too.
Sometimes you have to really deep-dive the bigger net sources to find what you're looking for! According to an old EAB post, Minuous has had the full registered version of the game on his website for some years now and, from the looks of it, has been about the only one to offer it for direct download in all this time (as you said, weird that it has remained so obscure despite being included on a mag coverCD!). Like me, he may well have had a helping hand from AMR to track it down way back when.

Quote:
Anyway, Simon's brother Dave (of Amiga Power fame) found my video and I asked him if he knew where I could get my mitts on the final, registered version. He didn't, but said he'd ask Simon for me. That turned out to be a bit of a dead end so I assumed if even the original author hasn't got a copy, I'm wasting my time.
Minuous came to the same dead end that you did with the original author. Lucky for us (and some of the retro game coders out there) that covermounted disks and CDs, concocted by retro mag publishers back in the day, have preserved some software releases that would otherwise have been lost forever in the mists of time!

Quote:
Yep, there are quite a few of these arena combat games out there, though this is the one I fell in love with as a kid. Actually, I don't think I was aware of any others at the time.
I think the first ones I might've come across (if memory serves!) were Brutal Homicide, Marathon, Knock Out and Burnout, the latter destined for shareware release by Mark Sheeky before being picked up by Vulcan for commercial release.

Quote:
Thanks for the detective work... interesting. You'd think with it appearing on a coverdisk, EV would be more commonly available.
It's almost compulsively second nature for me as I've been doing it on the HOL front since 2002 and even longer in a professional capacity!

Last edited by DrBong; 22 November 2020 at 14:16. Reason: Added to post!

Page generated in 0.05195 seconds with 11 queries