View Single Post
Old 26 August 2010, 10:03   #28
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
But surely these are hackers who are just producing the odd bit of music now and again for demo's and are too lazy to code a proper editor?

Someone who is composing music day in day out for a living would create tools over the years?

I personally know three commercial video game musicians (of the time), none as successful as DW, two created their own custom tools similar to a tracker and third used a commercial tracker. Perhaps they were the exception that proves the rule?

I will bow to your superior knowledge. Perhaps if you were ultra old skool (i.e. started in the 8-bit genre) and were a lot older then you get stuck in your ways. E.G. I still prefer to use notepad over frontpage/dreamweaver for my HTML, but then I only play at webpages.
Coding a proper editor would most likely mean conforming to the limits of a specified module format unless the editor is from outer space and lets you tweak everything and add dsp-code willy nilly and then adjust the replayer accordingly.

The point of doing music in assembly language is just that. You can add or adjust dsp-effects, tweak the replayer and discard anything which is not used alltogether. And editing music in asm isn't that complicated as it may sound, it's actually pretty straight forward.

There's plenty of hand coded music on the amiga, even today as StingRay pointed out in 4k-intros and the likes.

Page generated in 0.04218 seconds with 11 queries