View Single Post
Old 11 October 2021, 16:06   #4
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
To my mind, the engine and the graphical output ( but not style) are connected.

I do not know the specs of the Robocop arcade game, but I am going to guess its higher resolution and considerably more colours on screen than robocop 2 on the Amiga.

To me the engine has to support the res, size of sprites, colours etc.

Hence no way is robocop 2 a better engine that Robocop arcade. No matter ones, views on the graphical style ?

Discuss
Ah, I'm beginning to see what you mean now. Yeah, that's not how I use the word engine. For me, the engine and the hardware it runs on are separate entities. So, you could have an engine that is limited in ways the HW isn't, or an engine that can do a great deal more than the HW can supply.

In essence, I see the 'engine' as the parts of the code that deal with making the game work and makes the game interface with the hardware. So in that respect, an engine that can support game logic things that Robocop Arcade doesn't, but can also support those game logic things the Robocop Arcade game requires is more advanced than the Robocop Arcade one - even if it it's coupled to a system that only has monochrome graphics.

The reason for this is that numbers of colours/objects/resolution usually are just hardware limitations, not normally engine ones. As an example, an engine might have support for only 10 objects on screen not because the code in the engine is actually limited to 10 objects (it could support many more), but because the system it's running on is.

Page generated in 0.04865 seconds with 11 queries