View Single Post
Old 01 September 2021, 13:11   #1
stevelord

Gemini for Amigans

Gemini is a (fairly) new Internet Protocol that sits somewhere between Gopher and the Web. It isn't trying to replace either, but instead provides a light-weight web alternative that's fairly easy to implement.

Karl Jeacle recently released AmiGemini, an Amiga Gemini client on Aminet.

Browsing Gemini on the Amiga is quicker than browsing the modern web with IBrowse. I think Gemini presents a great opportunity for classic Amiga users towards the 020/030 end. Gemtext markup takes about 10 minutes to learn, there's a lot of free hosting already out there and setting up your own Gemini server if you already have a HTTP server isn't that hard.

AmiGemini itself even looks good in 640x256 in 4 colours, so this could be a good platform for OCS/ECS Amigas with 3.x.

When you first open AmiGemini you'll see two links, one to Amigagemini's capsule, one to the main project. Follow the project link and it'll take you to some aggregators so you can explore Gemini.

Aggregators like Capcom and Spacewalk are good entry points. There are also Gemini aggregators for popular news and web sites. But the best of Gemini is what you make it. I wrote about Gopher and Gemini in depth a while back in my newsletter. The bits in there about Gopher also apply to IBrowse, updated last month.

I'm not saying that people should switch exclusively to Gemini. If you want your content to be highly accessible to mid-range and lower-end Amigas, Gemini is worth considering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gemini-lores.png
Views:	1252
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	73066   Click image for larger version

Name:	gemini.png
Views:	1265
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	73067  

Last edited by stevelord; 02 September 2021 at 16:04.

Page generated in 0.04509 seconds with 12 queries