View Single Post
Old 06 May 2021, 10:22   #37
jPV

Nice video, it seems that CPU emulation is pretty fast, because it plays videos that well. So it confirms that graphics (card) emulation is more the bottleneck.

Generally speaking the later/faster laptops are always better supported than older/slower, and are naturally faster too These all are pretty cheap nowadays, so I wouldn't do any compromises, but would find the best you want.

Here is a comprehensive list of computers that are supported by MorphOS:
https://library.morph.zone/Supported_Computers

If you want the best laptop, I would say take one of the 1.67 GHz PowerBooks (or the last 1.5 GHz version, but it might be hard to identify the right 1.5 GHz version).

Here are some points why I'd prefer PowerBook over iBook:
- The latest PowerBooks have better support for the internal keyboard and touchpad *)
- PowerBooks have bigger resolution displays and more graphics memory
- PowerBooks have a CardBus slot if you want a better WiFi range by an external WLAN card (wired is the best still)
- PowerBooks have a DVI connector for an external display
- iBooks feel generally more clunky by their design
- With my iBook I see some small graphical glitches, which are more visible with certain skins/gfx, but I'm not sure if this is a problem for others, but annoys me a bit

*) There are two kinds of hardware interface solutions for internal keyboard and touchpad in these laptops. The latest PowerBooks use the USB bus, while older PowerBooks and iBooks use the ADB bus. The problem with the ADB bus is that it doesn't make difference between left and right command keys, and some programs/keyboard shortcuts assume you press right-command etc, so these won't work on them and can be a small annoyance. Also laptops with the USB touchpad support more gestures, like two finger scrolling or two finger right click etc, which is handy if you don't use an external mouse.

So, my advice would be to go to a 1.67 GHz PowerBook, but if you can accept the mentioned flaws and would still want an iBook, I would recommend the 2005 models depending if you want smaller (12") or bigger (14") machine.

Page generated in 0.08625 seconds with 11 queries