View Single Post
Old 24 August 2021, 07:37   #69
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Why? Why bother?

Face it, nostalgists: CRTs are going fast, they're never EVER coming back, and they'll soon all fail. You'll all soon have to embrace the wonderful LCD/LED world soon, so better jump ship, folks!
I bet my CRTs will still be working long after I'm gone. But hey, you're right! What's the point of living when I will soon fail?

Actually my Samsung LED TV does a wonderful job of displaying composite (apart from a slight lag which might be a problem in some arcade games). It's sharper than any tube TV I ever owned, flicker fixes interlace modes perfectly, and fills in scan lines without losing contrast. But I have several other LCD TVs that are not nearly as good. My Syncmaster 940MW grossly overemphasizes edges and blurs colors in RGB! (it was much worse before I accessed the hidden service menu and turned all the peaking controls to zero). I also have a GBS820 which I have modified to upscale without 'enhancements', but the VGA picture still isn't as sharp and pure as my 1084S monitor.

The reason we bother is because CRTs won't ever be coming back, and we don't want to put up with poorer alternatives. Yes, they will eventually wear out or break down. But a set which lasted this long will probably go for a while longer, and I intend to enjoy it while I can.

Page generated in 0.04498 seconds with 11 queries