View Single Post
Old 24 September 2021, 05:57   #16
Nishicorn

Or you could just use Brilliance and save yourself the hassle. Pro Motion also has an option to 'single palette' an animation, so it asks if you want to use 'current palette' for all images.

Best bet would to just hand-pixel your sprites in lower resolution and color mode - I have noticed that even when doing some 'epic artwork', I never need all 256 colors, so 24 bits for a SPRITE is beyond overkill (you need quite a resolution to even display a million colors, let alone 16 777 216, and you're never going to use thousands of color for a sprite, let alone hundreds of thousands, etc. and if you do, you should re-examine your life..)

There are so many ways to convert images and such, this kind of thing shouldn't be a problem. If you have an animation as bunch of images, you can just batch convert them to 8-bit images using Irfanview or something very easily, if they're some kind of rendered images, you can render to 256 colors, then you can convert those to IFF on the Amiga side and 'load as sequence' into Brilliance, that uses exactly ONE palette for the whole animation, and so on.

But why would you need to load 24-bit images as sprites to Amiga side anyway? I mean, what do you use to create 24-sprites, and why do it that way, if you're just going to edit them on Amiga anyway? Just create them on the Amiga, problem solved..

Then again, I never understood the 24-bit 'art' anyway - it's just too many colors to handle, a hassle, and you practically have to let the computer do most of the art anyway, so how creative can it be?

I have dabbled on things like using a 'painting program' to create a 'dreamy sky', then convert that to 256 colors and then edit and dither it on the Amiga side - sometimes just to get the right-looking colors and such.

It's fascinating what you can do with lores pixels and 8-bit graphics on a real Amiga, when you decide to start some kind of project like that.

In any case, I suggest avoiding the 24-bit world when you want to hand-pixel stuff - of course I use it in the end product for alphafades and such, but I mean, in the creative side. Low-color, low-res graphics that are alphafaded in a movielike fashion creates a perfect, quirky-but-pleasant mixture of smooth effects and hand-drawn pixel beauty.

24-bit stuff is unnecessary unless you're rendering stuff, and even then, you can remove all the fancy stuff to create proper, RAW graphics, like I did for a tunnel-effect - it looks almost hand-pixelled, because it has zero anti-aliasing or such - it looks as if someone just painstakingly drew lots of circles for every frame.

Some people are very skilled at the 24-bit art stuff, so all the more power to them, but if you're going to use DPaint anyway - I suggest to use Brilliance instead and just do 256 colors or fewer and you'll be happy.

Page generated in 0.04351 seconds with 11 queries