View Single Post
Old 22 October 2021, 20:00   #2883
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
That is not an Amiga question...

Yet I can give you a reply.

CPC6128 coexisted with 464/664. So everything came "prepared" for extra bank of 64K. It was the same code, just some extra data.

Spectrum 128, not so much, but not as bad as 128.
When Spectrum 128 came out, it was followed by further models all with 128K. The 48K was very old by that time. So it was considered the successor and follow up and had its independent line of software.

When C128 came, we were almost in Amiga era already. It didn't have time to flourish.
Also C64 mode, had an IMMENSE library of software (bigger than CPC and Spectrum) and people didn't feel the urge to make something for the 128 side (most C64 games were already better than their CPC and Spectrum counterparts - with exceptions of course, but stlll).
Also C128 was a far more complex machine in hardware.
It had 2 CPU (not running concurrently ok), it had 2 independent IC to handle graphics (with different palettes!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektroid View Post
Part of the reason it never really took off was 1, the price and 2, the lack of support from game developers, and why would they when the C64 userbase was way bigger; I can't imagine any games developer worth their salt would invest in coding and marketing for something that has a fraction of the existing userbase. After seeing what can be done with the C64 on the demoscene, I reckon it could be capable of some amazing feats too.

I recently saw a C128 for sale for less than half the going price, but I passed it by for this very reason. Seems pointless to own something I wouldn't use for anything more than my existing C64's. Shame really.
thank you for the replies, i see, complex hw than c64, unlike cpc;
yup, really a shame, another machine we'll never know about gaming full possibilities

sorry for the off topic post, completely forgot that it is an Amiga only thread
i need new glasses lol

Page generated in 0.32524 seconds with 11 queries