View Single Post
Old 30 June 2023, 10:55   #453
Don_Adan

Ok, this is Your choice, how you handle allocated memory, but if World 2-2 need 128k of unique SFX, then this memory must be allocated too. If You allocated this memory later and free this area some times then memory can be fragmented. Much better is allocated all necessary memory area only once and later overwritten this area many times without allocation and deallocation. Original Turrican 2 is good example how this is done. Game is showing short loading screen and short/jingle music is played when game data are overwritten (loaded and depacked). And if Turrican 2 AGA needs 2MB fast, then You have perhaps enough memory for storing inside fast most used game data for reduce disk swapping and loading time. You must/can be smart using all available for game memory. Allocation and deallocation too many times is not good idea for me. And Your later projects will be affected too. I dont think that someone who played Turrican 2 AGA or Your other game after 2-3 hours of playing will be happy seeing "Not Enough Memory!" requester. But this is Your choice. I know that it needs extra work and time for changing how memory is handling in T2 AGA, but of course You can use this method in Your other projects too.

BTW. Could You tell me how many times Turrican 2 AGA was downloaded ?

Page generated in 0.05539 seconds with 11 queries