View Single Post
Old 05 July 2016, 00:40   #6
Mark Wright

OK, OK! Don't attack me please! :-) I am sitting here listening to Lapeltheme with a tear in my eye. I'm glad that my original text was correct about it being released, but this is the very *first* time I've seen evidence it was actually available. I've been asked about this many times over the years.

I wrote that article almost 20 years ago using various sources, Amiga User International magazine (I *think* who reviewed it and from which I took the quotes), an interview with Karsten Obarski himself from an edition of the AM/FM Amiga disk magazine, and a long since deleted (though may have re-surfaced, I haven't checked in years) online interview with him. This was all in the early days of the internet, no wonder I was quoted so often in the absence of any more detail.

I've already said I'm ashamed that what I wrote (partly incorrectly) has been a source of reference for many years. I'm certain that when I said, "due to low sales EAS released the source into the public domain" was based on what I read in a UK magazine. Now that you mention it, it's blindingly obvious that with so many "PD" versions in circulation (remember, here in the UK, every Amiga magazine was filled with adverts from companies selling their "PD" wares) there was no future for a commercial version of Soundtracker.

I've always wondered what Karsten made of it. Was he pleased that suddenly everyone was able to use his tool (no matter how badly) to knock out thousands of ST-01 sound-a-like modules, or was he hugely miffed at receiving a few deutschmarks for his hundreds of hours of effort...

Last edited by Mark Wright; 05 July 2016 at 00:52. Reason: Cashflow

Page generated in 0.06697 seconds with 11 queries