View Single Post
Old 19 August 2021, 09:45   #80
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Mazda MX-5 Miata is a fun little car.

Now, I've seen some people put a V8 engine in it. Oh sure, I'll look at the video of the new creation. But is it still a Mazda MX-5 Miata?

In physical appearance perhaps. But it is no longer a Mazda, it's a FrankenMazda.

I believe this is very true in the Amiga community. There is this push for most MIPS, fastest speed, OSes that were never on the platform, uses that were never on the platform.

Amiga is an Amiga when it has original chipset and 68K CPU running original OS up to 3.1. I'll give 3.1.4 a slight pass here, even if I wish the kickstart boot up would still say Commodore personally (is there a way to change that?)

Anything else is a deviation in my view, and a FrankenAmiga. The question really is how much of a FrankenAmiga is it?

I am fascinated how many wonderful ideas all these Dr. Frankensteins have had since 1994. A lot of clever hardware has come out since, and the effort, work and creativity is impressive. It's fun to watch.

On the flip side, can the Amiga not be appreciated for the essence of what it was? What it could do when it was here? Or is it just not enough now that technology has moved on so much?

Personally, I find the Amiga the most beautiful and final word in retro computing. A real friendly computer, that was there to help us. A computer that was efficient. A computer that booted up a multitasking OS off a single 880K floppy. A computer that came with very capable productivity apps that got me a lot of high grades. A computer that I used to introduced our school's entire photo department to digital photography with just a 500, DigiView and a Citizen 24pin color printer.

A computer before spyware, creepy Silicon Valley creeps started gathering up all our data, our images for facial recognition spying, and making us the product, developing apps to keep us engaged and addicted to their crappy "killer apps". Pushing endless marketing to us, as if we asked for it. What gives them the right?

A computer that was a real A! That was the Amiga. Can't it be appreciated for that? Must we drag it kicking and screaming toward what computing has become today...a soulless slab of glass you touch more than your significant other, whom you're supposed to love?
Nice text, mate...

Personally, I think Amiga can be both.

I like tinkering with OS 3.2 on my Vampire, but on the other side enjoy coding ASM for vanilla machines like the A500 or A1200.

Page generated in 0.05131 seconds with 11 queries