Thread: A600 Options
View Single Post
Old 24 January 2010, 13:25   #4
Bloodwych

The LITE version doesn't run Scalos either - some people don't like Scalos for some reason and like to run this version as it's a pure Workbench environment even if they've got the RAM to go with the FULL and above. The LITE is targeted at 2MB machines, so uses much less resources and hard drive space than the FULL. Plus it has smaller drawer icons for faster performance on A1200's without fastram. It's lean and mean! Perhaps that's why people like using it as a base install then add their own stuff.

Yep, as you read Scalos itself is 020 only - it would run too slow on a 68000 anyway (MUI is slow on 68000 CPU's - the frontend Scalos uses for requesters). The 68000 and ECS chipset are a lot slower than the 32bit 020/AGA at screen redraws.

I'm afraid there are quite a few sacrifices when running a 68000. FBlit can't be enabled to store certain graphics or newicons in fastram. iGame isn't included either as it's 020 only.

Luckily I managed to get hold of an older version of Newicons that still supported 68000 CPU's, as the later versions are also 020+ only. Plus I needed to find the last version of Dopus to support 68000 CPU's - again later versions are 020. The Gamelist launchers still work - but a fully populated one might take some time to initially open!

TTManager under Workbench->System->Icon Properties is an important tool for the LITE and below. It replaces the Scalos Info requester giving you back the ability to easily change icon properties via drag and drop. There is a readme file included anyway plus more info on the webpage about features.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 24 January 2010 at 13:43.

Page generated in 0.07211 seconds with 11 queries